Keys to the Kingdom
This page contains the various rules adjustments and house rules we will be playing with in KTTK. Physical copies of all of this information will be made available during games, as well. None of these are set in stone, and any rule that anyone feels needs to be changed or removed is up for discussion.
- Inspiration (link)
- Generation: When building a character, use the standard point buy rules, but start with 33 points, and you can buy up to a 16 for a cost of 12 points.
- Darkvision: functions as normal, with the modification that in dark conditions, creatures can still see clearly up to half of their Darkvision radius.
- Falling Damage: When you deliberately fall any distance, even as a result of a missed jump, you can make an Acrobatics skill check at disadvantage and ignore your result's worth of damage. If this reduces the damage taken to 0, you do not fall prone as a result of the fall. You can still make this check if you reduce falling damage from another source.
- Mixing potions: A character might drink one potion while still under the effects of another, or pour several potions into a single container. The strange ingredients used in creating potions can result in unpredictable interactions. When a character mixes two potions together, the DM will roll on the Potion Miscibility table (DMG 140). If more than two are combined, roll again for each subsequent potion, combining the results.
- Scroll Mishaps: A creature who tries and fails to cast a spell from a spell scroll must make a DC 10 Intelligence saving throw. If the saving throw fails, they roll on the Scroll Mishap table (DMG 140).
- Combat Actions (link)
- Crits/Fumbles: When rolling a 20 on an attack, the player/DM draws from a critical hit deck instead of adding 1W die per normal. When rolling a or 1 on an attack, the player/DM must draw a card from the Critical Miss deck.
- Rule Disputes: If there's a rules disagreement during play that can't be quickly resolved, both parties will roll a d20. Whomever rolls higher (ties go to GM) has the ruling in their favor in the moment. This will then be verified after the session, through the books or the internet. Steps will be taken to make amends if the DM is in the wrong, either through bonus Inspiration points or other corrections, as necessary.
- Luck Deck: In addition to the crit/fumble decks, we will use a Luck deck which features Good & Bad Luck cards. These will be awarded occasionally in place of Inspiration, in case of Good Luck, or when you do something particularly bad/dumb/etc, for Bad Luck.
- Jumping: Normal rules per the PHB. However, if you want to try and exceed the set distance, you can make an Athletics check. Add or subtract 1 to DC for every 5' of movement speed your character has over or under 30' at the time of the check.
- Running Long Jump- DC 10 + 1 for every foot over passive check (Strength score).
- Standing Long Jump- DC 20 + 1 for every foot over 1/2 passive check (Strength score).
- Running High Jump- DC 10 + 5 for every foot over passive check (Strength bonus).
- Standing High Jump- DC 20 + 5 for every foot over 1/2 passive check (Strength bonus).